Sights in East Crete
Apart from the wonderful beaches, Makrigialos offers you the opportunity to explore unique sights, such as:
- the traditional villages of Pefki and Agios Stefanos
- the gorge of Pervolakia (aka the gorge of the Deads)
- the mountain of Afentis Christos (altitude 1475m), which has a magnificent view over eastern Crete
- the caves of Apoloustres and Latsida in Pefki village
- the mountain refuge, the natural routes and the gorge of Orino
- the church of Madonna in Lithines, dated back to the 15th century
- the findings of the Minoan and the Roman villas in Makrigialos
- the Koufonissi Island, with daily departures from Makrigialos (10 miles)
- the pine tree forest in Koutsouras
- the monastery of Agios Ioannis Kapsas
Furthermore, near Makrigialos are located the three major towns of Lassithi prefecture.
Sitia, a port at the north-eastern coast of Crete, is built amphitheatrically around the sea gulf. It is a modern and beautiful town, which keeps intact through time its traditional hospitality, its picturesque seaside walk and its old town.
It is the birthplace of the poet Vitsentzos Kornaros, author of the love poem “Erotokritos”.
- the palm tree forest of Vai
- the Venetian castle of Kazarma (from the Italian phrase “Casa di Arma”)
- the Minoan palace in Kato Zakros
- the Toplou Monastery
- the archaeological and the folklore museum
- the breathtaking nearby beaches (Kouremenos, Chiona, Erimoupoli, Vai) and the gorges (Richtis, Chochlakies)
Agios Nicolaos is the capital of the Lassithi Prefecture, located in the Mirabello Gulf.
It is a town with high tourist popularity surrounded by famous tourist resorts (Elounda) and picturesque villages (Critsa).
- the Lake
- the Spinalonga Island (“The Island”, from the book of Victoria Hislop)
- the byzantine church of Panagia Kera
- the Lassithi plateau
- the Psychro cave (aka Dikteo Andro)
Ierapetra, the southest town in Europe, with beautiful beaches and remote villages on the nearby mountains.
- the Kule Fortress
- the artificial lake in Bramiana
- the Chrissi Island (aka Donkey Island)
- The Cha Gorge